Oncorus, Inc. is an early-stage biotechnology company developing a next-generation immunotherapy platform to treat cancer. Oncorus was founded by MPM Managing Director, Mitchell H. Finer, PhD, a well-known biotechnology entrepreneur. Oncorus is a leader in corporate philanthropy, and has taken a pledge to donate a portion of product sales to fund promising cancer research and to support cancer care in the developing world. We are located in Kendall Square, Cambridge, MA.
We are looking for a highly motivated and innovative candidate for the role of Director, Molecular Biology. Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer/Chief Scientific Officer, this is a fantastic opportunity to make a significant impact as a scientifically motivated self-starter capable of independently conceiving, conducting, and critically analyzing his/her own work with minimal supervision. The position is focused on leading a team of scientists to leverage microRNA biology to build safer oncolytic viruses and on building and evaluating armed viruses to more potently induce anti-tumor immune response.
Day to Day Accountabilities and Opportunities
- Develop and manage a team of scientists to develop novel armed oncolytic viral vectors for the treatment of solid tumors.
- Use synthetic biology tools to build more potent viruses
- Provide expert guidance in designing and implementing development programs based on a broad knowledge of the drug development process and demonstrated knowledge and comprehensive expertise in molecular biology, cell biology, and protein characterization
- Molecular analytics tools to assess gene transfer and gene expression in vitro and in vivo.
- Contribute intellectually to the discovery and assessment of novel therapeutic payloads and the design and creation of next generation viral vectors for expanded oncology indications
- Collaborate with process development and analytical sciences to identify efficiencies needed to meet critical corporate objectives, encompassing the area of oHSV manufacturing
- Influence through effective communication, respectful challenge, and persuasion across the research organization
- Ph.D. in Molecular Biology or Virology is required
- At least 10 years of post-degree research experience in an academic or preferably an industrial setting
- Direct experience leading pre-clinical stage programs and a cross-functional team is required
- Biotech experience is strongly preferred with a focus on cell and gene therapy, virology or biologics
- Previous experience with micro RNA mediated gene regulation; oncology or oncolytic viruses is preferred
- Relevant experience working with biomacromolecules (viruses, VLPs, RNA, DNA, therapeutic proteins, mAbs)
- Ability to adapt to frequent change and thrive in a dynamic and entrepreneurial early-stage environment
- Strong communication and organization skills
- Displays a high degree of maturity, honesty, trust and integrity
Our Ideal Candidate
- A scientifically motivated self-starter, capable of independently conceiving, conducting, and critically analyzing his/her own work with minimal supervision
- A strong presenter and communicator, with the ability to work in a fast-paced and team-oriented environment
- Someone who thrives on making a difference, as well as living with some ambiguity and change as we get off the ground
- Someone who gets excited by a lean organization and never says or likes hearing “that’s not my job”
- Someone who enjoys a transparent, respectful and innovative environment
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: commensurate with role and experience
Oncorus, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and offers a comprehensive benefits package including health, dental, life insurance, unlimited vacation and much more.